Dear Cook Family, (SENT TO JUDY TO PUT ON COOK
E-MAIL/FACEBOOK FOR ALL---PLEASE, JUDY)
It’s not easy to articulate what I want you to know, but I will try on this 25th day of March 2012.
Every single choice or decision, large or small, made by the Darlene Cook family, Arvin and all her children, that I know of has been made with great love, thoughtfulness, beauty, and good taste since Darlene finished this life’s journey. How proud Darlene must be of all of you. My heart warms at having observed so many examples of the great love felt for my sister by Arvin, Kelly, Holly, Jim while he lived (he has an advantage now) Wendy, Dan, Judy, and by their husbands, their children, and all their families, too, even though you grieve and deeply miss Darlene’s presence.
This Saturday, March 24th, a sale was held to honor one of her passions, garage sales. Her stuff could have been dealt with quicker and with less work, but quick and easy wasn’t the family’s motivation. Instead, it was prayerfully and lovingly put into this garage sale at Matthew Binns’ office place and parking lot. It was a Herculean job to get everything gathered up, put out to sort, sorted, priced, put on tables and carried outside. At 5:00 a.m. on a Saturday, with LOTS OF PRIOR WORK done beforehand, Holly, Wendy and Judy organized everything so well down to the last detail that is seemed like garage sale professionals were doing the work--and work it was. I witnessed these daughters, with their family helpers, working efficiently and swiftly from 5:00 a.m. to 9:40 a.m. just SETTING UP followed by many more hours of selling and giving away. “Good job,” is an understatement. No one gets up around 4:00 a.m. on Saturday to work throughout the day without being really motivated! I was there to select something for my absent sisters.
The Garage Sale was Special because of its motivation and the way it was conducted. As Judy explained it to me, not in these exact words but nearly so, “Mother took such great joy in finding things (dolls and all, we know) at garage sales and we want to let others share her joy by giving access to some of what she collected. We want this sale to HONOR MY MOTHER and we all want it to be done joyfully, kindly, and with patience and love. Family can just take what they want.” The sale started with prayer, was blessed with Arvin’s presence (and refreshments), and ended up being just what they wanted, a LOVING tribute to Darlene Johnson Cook.
I want the Cooks to know of my respect, love, and appreciation for their expressed desire to keep close to Darlene’s brother and sisters. I know or know of good parents whose children don’t show good parenting; but, in the Cook Case, Darlene and Arvin, “YOU DID ’REAL GOOD,’” as shown by the lives of your descendants. I feel privileged when I'm around your family.
Birth order sisters one and two have a special bond nothing can sever. I miss her so. Among other things, she brought the Cooks into my life. You all make my lifer richer for your presence and memories. Thank you.
Love, Aunt, Great aunt, and Great-great aunt Grace
P.S. . To be trite, times change and some “Sibs” aren’t face book or even e-mail involved so those may miss out some. Modern technology will keep you all well connected. Our family reunions and the 4th of July party at the Dunnigans demonstrate that many in the extended Johnson family want to stay connected. Yes! This year’s Reunion is on August 4th and John has reserved a place.. You’ll be hearing details from him. I think he would welcome suggestions.
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment