Friday, July 11, 2008

Happy Birthday Addison!


Thanks to all of you for your prayers and well wishes, we needed them (especially Addison). As many of you know, Addy was breech (read heads up and not good for delivery) and had to be delivered c-section. Well, that procedure took place this Wednesday and what an experience for me. I first had to wait in the hall while the anesthesiologist (sp?) did his thing, and that was a long 20 minutes of pacing. Then I got to sit at Melanie's head and talk with her while we both knew full well what was happening on the other side of the blue surgical shield.


Well, when the doctor finally got Addison out (it was more difficult than it should have been), she was not breathing. I had to stand holding Melanie's hand while the pediatrition and one of the nurses worked the respiratory mask on little Addy for 1 minute and 40 seconds (read not good for baby). Even though the doctor and other nurses were focused on putting Melanie back together, I could sense a strong feeling of everyone in the room holding a collective breath. When Addy finally cried, there was the most palpable collective sigh in that room that I have ever heard. Several nurses said things quietly to each other and the doctor made an audible exclamation about being what we wanted hear.


I then got to carry baby to the nursery and stay with her until Mel was back in her room and okay to receive us. It looks like the baby is strong and doing fine now, and Melanie is getting better by the hour.


What a joy! What a humbling and woderful thing. I am so grateful to God for the miracle of life. Please celebrate with us wherever you are. Come see us this weekend if you can. Mel and Addy come home tomorrow (Sat July 12). Yeah!

Statistics:

Addison Danielle Cook
Born: 07-09-08
Time: 12:16 p.m.
Weight: 7.4 lbs
Length: 19.5 inches
Hair: Yes
Eyes: Blue
Fingers and toes: Long and cute
Sweetness: Double yes
Proud daddy?: Do you really need to ask...

1 comment:

Judy said...

Wahooooooo!!!!! She is so beautiful! Way to go guys! Melanie, here's hopin' for a quick recovery for you.