One of Matthew's boy scouts is working on his Eagle project. He and the other scouts in his troop planned to sew newborn receiving blankets to be donated to the Church Humanitarian Center. With the help of his fellow scouts he blanketed (pun fully intended) the surrounding neighborhoods with fliers. He asked for donations of a yard or more of thick polar fleece. His goal was to make 100 blankets. As of Sunday, his mom announced in RS, that they had enough fleece to make 75 blankets. Well, the wheels started turning (in my head and on my van) and I raced to Jo Ann's Fabric store (where they just happened to have their fleece on sale at 30% off). The kind of fleece that the church requires for these blankets are not cheap ($8-$10 a yard) I spent every penny of our Cook Can Help Fund and guess how much we were able to buy???? Enough fleece for 25 adorable blankets! Actually I was able to buy 27. When I was at the register I asked if they gave a discount for Eagle Scout projects. The the cashier said, "um...sure....how about 10%?" Then I had leftover cash. I raced back to the cutting table and got two more ~ then all the CCHF money was exhausted! Hurray for the Cooks!


Tuesday night the children and I crept down the street to the Kesler home (Bryant Kesler is the Eagle Scout wannabe) and left a pile of fabric-filled bags on his doorstep. We rang the bell and quickly ran away! We thought it best to "give our alms in secret" and not let our left hand know what the right hand was doing.
This morning Matthew joined the boy scouts and other adult leaders at the church for the "sewing blitz." He casually took these pictures for the "Varsity Scout Slide Show" and (secretly) for the Cook Family Blog.
Bryant is the young man in the black shirt (wth a red "x" in a white circle). In the 1st photo he is standing up taking a picture. In the second photo he is sewing a blanket. The last photo is of two other scouts who are trying very hard not to sew their fingers together!See what a little spare change can do??
Thanks wonderful Cook family!
4 comments:
Judy, your puns leave me speechless (and that ain't easy to do.
close parenthesis
Thank you for letting us know what we did with the money. Sounds awesome!
My eyes are wet and my heart is full. COOKS CAN HELP!
What a blessing it is to part of such an amazing family!
I am proud to be a COOK
Post a Comment