Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Don't pray for rain.....

When you start praying for rain in July, be prepared for a very wet June!! Who knew all those prayers for moisture last summer would create such a fun time for those living near Big and Little Cottonwood Creek's?  The waters started to rise on Saturday with the hot weekend we had and last night hit it's first peak (they are still worried about Wednesday where we could get up to 89 and cause more snow run off problems like last night).  Yesterday as I was trying to get home from work I was blocked on all sides by big orange barricades telling me the roads were closed.  I passed a small group of people and a mound of dirt in the Murray City amphitheatre parking lot and was told about the impending disaster!  I immediately called my Mom and Dad and we jumped into the fun!!  We bagged, tagged, and dragged sandbags for about four hours (I stayed just a bit longer).  It was actually a fun adventure getting covered in sand, hit with shovels, drenched in river water, and trying not to break the back. 


Here is my Dad loading up the ugly brown truck which turned out was good for something besides making the front yard look like a wreaking lot:



Here is one of the many many many (I lost count at 9) stacks of sandbags we helped to fill:




Some of the results of our efforts:



And this morning I was reading the article in the Salt Lake Tribune (because the guy came up and asked me a few questions late last night) and guess who I saw?  Our team lead Mike!  And in the bottom left corner my head and red shirt, and a picture that I know my mother is just going to LOVE that is out there for the entire world to see!!!  Look at her working hard :)  Or don't look because the photographer obviously caught her unawares.

3 comments:

Brazee's said...

shouldnt this be on your blog silly girl

Holly Peterson said...

That's enough to make you want to go on a very strict diet!

Melanie and Daniel said...

Nobody would even know it was you mom. I wouldn't have if Stacie hadn't of pointed you out. :)