We have a new "Bryan" (mission home assistant) her name is Laura Petterson (not a typo) She is fabulous! We had Elder Hafen here to tour our mission and she did a wonderful job getting the house and other things ready! The boys were sick so I didn't go to Thursday's zone conference. Wait let's back up - Kory was sick Sunday, Monday Tuesday, Then Wednesday there was no school because of freezing rain. If you've never seen it, it is quite an experience. It started Tuesday evening. I went to Avon commons- our "Jordan Landing" I had heard it was coming. They cancelled YM's because they don't want people driving in it. I thought I could get home before it arrived. Plus, never having experienced it I thought "How bad can it be?" Silly me. 20 minutes later when I came out of the store I learned for myself. The rain falls and freezes immediately as it hits the ground, or your car, or the trees. Makes walking very hard. Opening frozen car doors difficult. Driving scary. I skipped my last errand and just headed home by the back roads instead of the freeway. Half way home I pulled into a parking lot a waited for my heart to calm down a little. I did get home safe and stayed there. Next time I hear a forecast of freezing rain I will stay home! It continued most of the night. Ken had his car serviced that night and we went to pick it up the next morning. There was literally 1/4th an inch of ICE over the whole car. With the whole city in that situation they cancel the schools! Plus it snowed about 3 inches on top of the ice. Very different weather experiences here than in Utah. So no school on wednesday and then Elder Hafen was suppose to arrive that night at 6:30. he was coming from Washington DC. But his plan was delayed because it had to come from Ohio 1st then bring them back from DC. Well---they were told that the airplanes wheels were frozen to the tarmac! in Ohio. They finally arrived just before 10:00 pm. He still held Mission Council that night. Then wonderful Zone conferences Thursday (at least that's what they said)and Friday. I was able to go on Friday and learned so much. They are a very sweet couple and fun to be with. It was suppose to be our Stake Conference today and tomorrow. But-----we had more weather fun. It started snowing Friday during zone conference and kept on snowing off and on until this morning. then it just didn't quit all day. We have a foot and a half, but the wind has been blowing so we have 3 foot drifts in places. they listed us as blizzard warning all day. So Elder Hafen talked with SL and they said don't have the members drive in it. The state issued a level 3 warning. Which means unless it is an emergency don't drive. So, no stake conference tonight or tomorrow :( We are safe and warm and we have enough food and water and all is well. The fire is blazing and the boys have shoveled and snow blown the drive way 3 times today! We sure enjoy hearing about all of you!
I know that the Lord is in charge and blesses us immensely!
Sure love you!
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow! I thought the snowstorms in Casper were bad, but we never had freezing rain, just three feet of snow and constant wind. But we never had our cars frozen shut. (well, one time a couple of elders washed their car in negative 15 degree temps. They got frozen out.) Hope you stay warm!
Brittany
Oh boy, sounds crazy! What a time you are having. Thanks for that terrifying report. Please be careful and no more dare-devil-driving in such icy conditions.
Post a Comment